Wednesday, November 4, 2009

JOIN me on my round-the-world trip!

Hi!

I'm really excited to share my 2010 Round the World Trip itinerary with you. I've been dreaming about this trip ever since I volunteered for a month in Guatemala during the Summer of 2003 and lived in Spain from 2004-2005. Those travel experiences gave me the opportunity to connect with diverse people, understand myself and U.S. culture through a critical lens, and realize my desire to empower women toward increasing global consciousness. As a result, I see myself not as a tourist or even a traveler, but a global citizen-- a "vagabond." I learned of this term through the wonderful book Vagabonding: An Uncommon Guide to the Art of Long-Term World Travel, by Rolf Potts. It's a lifestyle that encourages simple living, creativity, discovery, and personal/spiritual growth. It's like my favorite Yogi tea quote: Travel light, live light, spread the light, be the light. Haha I just totally revealed my true hippie nature. :)

So after graduating from UC Davis in 2006, I was ready to hit the road and travel-- I even bought my First-Time Around the World Rough Guide Book and started to assemble my dream list of places to visit. However, an incredible opportunity presented itself to work on international women's health and rights and environmental issues as a National Organizer with the Sierra Club's Global Population and Environment Program. As a newly minted college grad, how could I refuse? Three and a half years later, I've given over 100 "Sex and Environment" presentations to audiences throughout the U.S. and internationally, and spoken with thousands of people about working together to create a more just, equitable and sustainable world. Most importantly, I've met amazing colleagues and activists who I now consider friends. I've learned a ton, and know my heart will always be with the Sierra Club, since it launched my activist and women's rights career. However, I've decided to apply to Masters in Public Health Graduate Programs for September of 2010, to gain more tangible skills around implementing community health programs locally and globally.

In the meantime, I've decided to make my "round-the-world" trip a reality, from January-September 2010. In Sierra Club style, I hope to utilize the amazing contacts I have through the sexual and reproductive health and rights and environmental movements I've worked with, to visit different community health projects around the world. I aim to meet with people from different organizations, interview young leaders, perhaps give several presentations to U.S. audiences like students abroad and Peace Corps volunteers, and report back to the U.S. as much as possible to continue to support population, justice and environment issues.

On a separate post is my itinerary of destinations and activities, encompassing 10 countries throughout 5 world regions. I would love to hear your thoughts/opinions/feedback in the comments section! Please let me know if you have contacts in the areas I'm traveling to, or if you would like to join me for part of my trip! There will be much to follow, in terms of many cool photos, videos and stories. I hope this is an interactive blog, and that you see it as a space to share your experiences about life and global citizenship and world travel as much as I'll be sharing mine. Thanks also to my friends, family, colleagues and activists, without whom this wouldn't be possible!

With much love and gratitude,
-Cassie

"From this hour I ordain myself loos'd of limits and imaginary lines,
Going where I list, my own master total and absolute,
Listening to others, considering well what they say,
Pausing, searching, receiving, contemplating,
Gently, but with undeniable will divesting myself of
The holds that would hold me."
-Walt Whitman, "Song of the Open Road"
(Found in one of my favorite books, "Vagabonding" by Rolf Potts, 2003)

No comments:

Post a Comment